Monday, February 11, 2008

Zerberts

Depending on what mood he is in, my son now asks for “the Zerbert.” Come on, you know you remember the zerbert. It happens a little like this … I am wrestling with Maxim and I see a bare tummy. I, of course, seize an opportunity to give what Americans call the Zerbert. It basically is making a noise on said belly by blowing and pressing one’s mouth against the subject’s tummy. What results is a wonderful sound that makes even the grumpiest person laugh. It tickles both parties and laughter abounds. Now, my son I don’t think has ever experienced the zerbert, and when I first did it, he howled laughing. I am like, come on, 12 years old and never got a zerbert or a red belly. So now, he will lay across my lap, or on the couch, and pretend he doesn’t want one. He will even slide his shirt up a little bit if I am not getting the hint. When I do it, he says now Papa, after he is finished laughing. If I don’t reciprocate, again with the hands raised, some sort of verbal sigh or noise to get my attention, patiently waiting for me to give another one. Now my buddies in the Martin clan I know have had many of said bare belly experiences. Jarett & Justin, especially, I have seen receive many of these from Father, brothers and once or twice from me (Yes, I confess I may have even given Justin one or two). So I am glad to have initiated Maxim into the zerbert club. The funny part was he wanted to give me one … haha… So, he lifted up my shirt and was like, Oi! I can only assume he saw hair on my belly and didn’t know if he wanted to put his mouth on it, and so that was all he could think to say. LOL … Well I guess my zerbert days are over. Sigh

I am enjoying my time with both Maxim and Anna. There have been some challenges. Last night was a stand off between the 2 of us. We were ready for bed, and he got mad, and proceeded to get dressed like he was going to leave. I stood in front of the door and he tried to get past me. When I wouldn’t budge, he sat on the floor and cried for a bit. Mama sat and talked to him, explaining that his behavior had been poor. And eventually he followed directions and got ready for bed. Mama had explained he should come tell me he was sorry and good night. He stood frozen ashamed at what he had done, and did not know how to say he was sorry. So, I went to him and told him I love him. Today, now I say Papa Adeen (which is one, but he understands it to mean, the first time Papa says to do something, you do it.). Anna’s authority issues today has centered around phone and food. It goes like this, “Papa, yum yum,” which translates I am hungry. Ok, you may have fruit (being between lunch and dinner, I thought this was a good choice and it would not spoil their supper. So, Anna has fruit, and then goes back into the kitchen and takes the candy I told her she could not eat until later. (Patome means later, we have established this and we all know its meaning). Yet, there was a knowledgeable disobedient act as she comes in and tries to hide that she is eating said candy. So, I get up, take it away, to which she says Papa, No. hmmm thought Papa decided whether or not it should be yes or no, and I let her know, behavior bad – ploha (bad). So, we will discuss this again with Yana (one of our translator friends here in Zap) and try and nail the concept down a little more. All part of learning who is authority. Overall, these 2 behave well! Today is better than yesterday. So I am hoping tomorrow will be even better.

Today was to be a day where the 4 of us would join Yana (translator) young Y., P., and K. for lunch. It was a little uncomfortable considering our past with young Y. I was really looking forward to seeing P., especially. I love this boy. He is so kind and has a gentle spirit. When I saw him last when we visited his orphanage and we were saying goodbye, he hugged me for the longest time. I know how sad he was his soon to be parents were not among the tribe visiting. Today, the little boy that joined us was no longer a little boy. Like my John, he was a young man. Longer hair, much taller, and older this P. was, and he let me know he was getting close to being as tall as I was by a height comparison with his hand and a huge smile to follow. Still, the big hug was the same and I was grateful for it. K. and young Y. were beautiful as ever. The situation was uncomfortable, so we ate quickly, and had planned to all go to the bizzar. It was decided that I would take our 2 back to the flat, and Jenn would accompany Yana Y, P, & K to get them some things before they returned to the O.

I hated to not get to spend more time with the kids, but understood Y not being able to hang out with them.

Jenn sprained her ankle somewhere in the walk back and is now on the couch with her feet propped up.

Nothing exciting planned for the next few days until Court, we believe will be on Thursday. After that, we will attend a big party at the Orphanage. I will then return sometime this weekend to check on John and Kevin, which we have only talked to one time since we left Kiev. We are both missing them like crazy.

Thank you for your prayers during our internet silence. We have no internet in our flat like in Kiev, so it is a little more difficult to get to a place to sign in!

Blessings and we will write more soon!

No comments: