Friday, February 15, 2008

St. Valentine's Day

Feb. 14

Today has been a difficult day for me internally. The last several years since my Nana passed away, I always remember her and how much I wish she was here, especially on this day. Today, I spend time with Jenn, Anna, and Max and I wish they had known her like Jenn and I did. She was so kind and a giver of her time, talents, abilities. She was one of the most selfless people I have ever known. I wish I was more like her. I am often more aware of what I am not getting than I am a thinking about giving to others. I have other talents and spiritual gifts and abilities and giving of gifts is not my bent. Its ok, I am good with that. Jenn, on the other hand, loves to give gifts to others. Today she snuck out for a little while to pick up chocolates for the caregivers at Max and Anna’s orphanage. Would I have thought to do that? No. It would never have crossed my mind. Would I have thought to get cards for my kids today for Valentines Day? Nope, never would have crossed my mind in a foreign country where my thoughts are to get through with the adoption as quickly as possible. Did I want to give the little hand held cheapo dollar store games to the kids days ago, so they would stop asking for my phone and play the only electronic game on it. Yes! But did Mama have a plan? Yes, and it was much better than my wanting to entertain my kids days earlier. We are wired different! Praise the Lord we are. Today, for their English lesson, my wife had them speak and write in English, John 3:16 from the Bible. It was so cool. They took each word and looked it up, or she explained so they would get it. She explained how important this verse was, and that she wanted them to believe it and know it was a promise for them. Anna even wanted to memorize it, which was awesome because she thought of that on her own initiative. Praise God again!
So, I know we have a lot to praise God for. I thought you might want to praise Him with us for the small victories that we are seeing daily. Don’t get me wrong the challenges are there too! There are definitely times where we feel like we are just surviving. But I know that our discomfort is not in vain. God has a calling on us to be parents to these children. I also confess that I am yearning to see my other sons. We have had no communication with them for over a week. It has been horrible. We got John minutes on his phone so we could at least talk while we both had to be up here. It will be 2 weeks and 2 days until I am able to return to Kiev, post our court date here in Zap (Monday, Feb. 18). Lori is going to try and visit them on Sat., which maybe the next time I get to post. Pray for them. I don’t want them to feel like they have been left and forgotten. Well, I am needing to get ready for our big party at the Internaut. I hope you all, our friends and family that read so faithfully are doing well, and that you are seeing God daily as you allow him to move in your lives. I know we are. We love you very much!

Until next time
Papa Mark

2 comments:

Church Family said...

well tour was awesome it was very good 1 of the speakers called darren whitehead i think is so funny by the way i have a good mission trip for when you get back it is called bunny bashin. it is in australia. for sweet hearts we have at least 90 poeple who have RSVP. So hopefully they all will come.
missing ya lots,
jordan

marla said...

Mark, Valentines Day was a difficult day for me also. Thank you so very much for your heart felt words for Nanna. I was very fortunate God let her be my mother. I know you are missing your boys, but everything seems to be going as planned. Once again, Happy Birthday, I love you and I am also extremely fortunate that God made you "My Little Boy".