Friday, February 29, 2008

Breaking the silence

Feb. 29, 2008

Today was a much better visit than the last two days. Kevin met me at the door. I am thinking this was on purpose, but it could have been he was waiting to go outside with his class (or maybe John told him to be there). Either way, he greeted me with Pop, and a hug. I started to say, who are you, and what have you done with my son. The mood was different, the attitude was favorable. Maybe someday I will have answers, but for right now, I am glad Kevin is back, and that he was glad to see his papa. Valera was there too, so I was doubly pleased, and when John came down, I was very happy. Both my boys present, and someone to help me communicate. John asks Valera to tell me that he has to finish something in class, and that he will join me in a little while. He then says, Pop, you go with Kevin. Kevin says, yes Papa you come with me. Gladly, that is why I come out here to this place, so we headed out to the soccer field. Most of the boys I know and recognize were outside today on the soccer field. There were only a few that didn’t come out to play. At one time I counted about 20 something boys, so it was a good group of players. In fact, one big game got going and moved to the larger field, and my boys entered into the second game on the basketball court. I got a lot of video segments today (wish I knew how to post those, but nothing I have tried so far works for video on our blog). I will put up a few still shots, but they just don’t turn out as well because they are in motion.

After the game, it was time for some tumbling. John and Yuri are some pretty good tumblers. Yuri I have had several opportunities to capture on video, but John has only once done a single back flip. Today, he wanted to show off a little more. To be his size, I am amazed he can tumble as well as he can. He is no giant, but bigger than the average gymnast I think. More walking ensued after we visited some of the other playground equipment, and then I gave them some snacks. We ended the visit back inside, and hugs all around. John and Kevin asked if I was coming tomorrow, and I told them yes. So the plan is that I will go again tomorrow, and then a visit Sat. and all day Sunday.

I had a good talk with the Zap side of the family tonight. Everyone seemed to be in a funny mood. We joked on the phone about Maxim getting a vwhoopin when I see him. A balshoy (big) vwoopin. Anna read through several phrases in Russian and English from the parent’s guide book. I said goodnight, and Mama was going to try and get them to bed.

I think Lori and I might take in a movie before we turn in. Thank you for your prayers, all of you who knew of the difficulties with Kevin and being able to spend time with John. I know God answered them today! I am looking forward to meeting up with the Radooga clan tomorrow evening, and also some other friends I have not seen in 3 years on Sunday evening. Jenn is still planning on coming into Kiev early Wed. morning on the train. Pray for that experience.
Until He is Known.
Papa Mark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey Mark and Jenn, we've been following your stories of late. Sorry we haven't posted more comments. I think of you guys often. Well, we want you to know that in light of your subjection to the silent treatment from the north and the sibling sorties to the south, you are now officially parents of older (former) orphans - congratulations. Seriously, don't get discouraged by this. We are finding that the moods are confusing with all the changes and emotional challenges. Stay strong and steady in your love and devotion to these kids and most importantly to each other. I am learning so much about myself and my own adoption as a son of the living God. So humbling to see myself in new ways in light of the responses we sometimes get. Great reward comes with great risk, my siblings. He is not unaware.

I know you can't wait until Wednesday. So sweet it will be. Love you guys and praying for your endurance.

Chris Grace