Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ready, set, wait ...

Feb. 20, 2008


So, I blogged, and got ready to head out the door to see the boys, when G called and said that there will be no visiting today. Apparently, because a flu is spreading in the orphanage, visits are more limited this week. I have been invited to go and be a part of a program @ 1pm on Friday (which I am excited about) and also able to take the boys on an outing Sunday. I am grateful for any chance to be with the boys, and look forward to taking advantage of the time to be with them.

Jenn was successful in taking a little time to blog, which you can read below, and in picking up Maxim and Anna’s passport photos. I haven’t heard all the details yet, but it sounds like they were able to accomplish school, and the above mentioned with fairly good attitudes today. I know she has the hard part of this leg. It is tuff being both parents while trying to communicate with very little language. Not to mention the whole 24 hour a day living arrangements, that I am not experiencing at this point with my two boys here. I will be glad for all of us to be together in Kiev as soon as possible.

I did partake in a little indulgence this afternoon. I watched an episode of Smallville (Superman for those of you who are not avid superhero fans). It was good to just sit and relax for an hour and a half and take in some American TV. Not going to the orphanage, freed up some time I had nothing to schedule. Going to the orphanage is about a 5-6 hour event. Even though I only see the boys for 2 of those hours. Travel there and back by walking, metro and bus can take an hour and a half, to a little over 2 hours, depending on metro traffic. When we move into our apartment, as Jenn and the kids come up, it should be about the same, adding another bus and maybe walking a little less. I will let you know when I get a chance to see where Orphanage 12 actually is.

I also got to catch up with Jerry and Melissa today for a little while. You don’t know how much it encourages us to hear from you, through you comments on the blog, phone calls, and emails. I was telling Lori this morning, I actually had a dream about someone on the bus speaking to me in English. I was so surprised in the dream that the person spoke English. You know you might be experiencing some culture shock when you dream about talking in English – your native language – and it is an unusual experience. We left the U.S. 5 weeks ago today. I kept thinking it was 4, but then mapped it out on the calendar. Wow. The last time I spent this much time in another country was when I went to Africa in 1995. The half way point was always the hardest point. It came about 4-5 weeks around fourth of July for summer missionaries. This makes sense, when I put it in that light, why both Jenn and I are experiencing some homesickness. I know God is good, and will sustain us. He has been so faithful. I am missing serving Him in ministry. I know we have been able to be a part of ministry here and there, and that He has called us to ministering to our children for such a time as this, but I am starting to feel a little bit like the fisherman who can’t fish. Max Lucado writes a great short story about fisherman who don’t fish in his book, the Eye of the Storm. You should check it out to understand more, but the jist is that when you don’t do what you are made to do, you get grumpy, experience restlessness, and some get depressed. Let’s say I am at the restless phase (not that the short list I just gave thoroughly describes any sequence of life apart from calling and profession). Some of the other families have been able to connect with missionaries and be a part of church ministries here. I had hoped that might be our case too, but so far, it is not panning out that way. Please don’t mistake these statements as complaining, just a glimpse into my thoughts. I feel a little on hold, if that makes sense. Just trying to praise Him in the midst of where He has us, and rest as He allows (because everyone keeps saying there will be none once we get home, and I am believing that having spent about 2 weeks with Maxim and Anna … hehe). That is life here in Kiev for me right now. I am happy for the time to spend in the Word, and looking forward to taking some time to do more of that tomorrow.
So, that’s my news in Kiev. I hope you all are enjoying what we are writing. It is not all fun and excitement. But it is our story. It is our life as we know and experience it. Glad you are tuning in. Each of you are precious to Jenn and me for different reasons. We can’t wait for you to meet our kids! It really is a daily thought for me, to think about each of you and introducing you to our children. What special times ahead. Blessings until we talk, write to each other, or see you in America.
Papa Mark getting off this computer for today

No comments: