Thursday, January 31, 2008

"Schlueshid"

…which means “Listen” in Russian… have we got an awesome day for you! Ok first of all we got to sleep in which was fantastic, and we got up and had coffee with Lori and hung out a while. Mark and I tackled our first totally solo trip today which by now you would think well I hope so! We had a good time walking together and talking. Mark was asking did I feel weird being some place I couldn’t understand the language and being alone. Honestly no I don’t. I think the time in the Philippines especially was good for my confidence level, once I go places a few times I get comfortable with landmarks and it doesn’t matter that I can’t read or talk. I just go. Mark’s experience in Africa was different so this is good for us both to have this time to learn together. We had a culture stress moment about which bus to take, we knew the numbers it was just a matter of “well why do you want to take that one?” Mark is one to ask good questions and understand why, I learned that sometimes life is like Algebra and you just do what you have to do to get the answer and don’t ask why. Ukraine is kind of Algebra for me right now, and I am just trying to get along smoothly with out incident and get out. I know none of you will believe that my personality lends itself to a more “in charge” nature, so it will shock you to pieces when you hear me say I just want to get my kids and get home with out ticking anyone off and slowing us down. This is a good goal for me. Which bus to take to the orphanage in that light is really not of any consequence to me, but because it matters to my honey it needs to matter to me too. For those who come behind, it is important to know that you will have times that communication seems easier than it has ever been and harder in some ways too. You need to love on each other and work together to make things work, what bugs you in general will hippopotamus you once you get here about each other and about stressful things in general. Just be ready for these times and be ready to take responsibility when you need to to smooth things out. End of marriage 101 for today!

We got to the orphanage and waited for the kids, Kevin came down first, he and Mark went out and I waited a few minutes for John. Then I decided John would find us, and went out so as not to miss time with Kevin too. We brought the boys each a cheeseburger from McDonalds, Kevin woofed his down. When John caught up with us we offered him his but he passed on it and gave it to a younger boy Yuri. We think this boy is precious too and you could just drown in his blue eyes. Precious kid. We hung out with Yuri and one of the Vova’s and walked around the school. We saw lots of cigarette butts out back of the dorms. A couple of pair of underwear (??????) and we observed how and where the boys jump the wall to get in and out so they do not get caught coming and going through the front gate if they are not suppose to leave. It was interesting to watch that happen and I wondered how many times ours have done it.

Mark and the boys played soccer, had a snow ball fight, and before you know it our visit was over and we had to leave. We said goodbye but as we left the gates Kevin called out, “We can call you on phone?” we said yes! Please call! So they waited till we got all the way home and I was cooking for Lori, Denis, Mark and I when they called. They asked, what are you doing? Denis told them for us that we were hanging out and I was cooking dinner. We talked a few more minutes and then suddenly Kevin says through Denis, we can smell dinner through the phone! Ya’ll they were so cute! Kevin kept saying “Listen” before he would say something, it was hysterical! He would confer with John and together they would decided what to say then Kevin would call out “Schlueshid!” Guys, as I type the kids have called 4 times since we got home. They want us to call them again soon. This is huge! They keep asking the same thing, they want that reassurance that we will call them back, that we are really going to come tomorrow and see them again, that we are really going to take them out this weekend. They asked for us to bring them something to eat and drink tomorrow which we will do, and they want for us to bring them something for John’s throat which is sore. He is afraid to get a fever. Kevin is John’s translator. This is a hoot in itself! They are really warming up, asking for little things they are needing, testing the waters, and finding out if we are going to keep our word to them.

We do the same thing with our Heavenly Father. Just like the kids keep calling their Papa, asking are you there still? What are you doing? Will you really come for us tomorrow? We want that same confirmation. We want that same affirmation and it is precious to Him. Until today, I haven’t realized the fullness of what it is like as a parent to have your child call and check in with you. I never understood how awesome it could feel to have your sons call on you and tell you they love you and want to communicate with you. God feels the same way about us, and more. He loves it when we call out to Him. He loves it when we try to tell Him how we are feeling and ask Him to meet our needs. We are showing Him our trust of Him and who He says He is. If you haven’t talked to God yet today I hope you do. I hope you will call on Him at 8:45 (call number 5) asking can we talk at 9? And call back to Him five minutes (call number 6) later asking “you will call at 9? Yes?” as if He could forget His promise to be there and be ready for you any time! Guys, this is so funny and so awesome and such a revelation at the same time. They will need like we need that constant reassurance we are going to be there for them.

We love you guys! We have an important appointment to keep so this is short for today! We will share more tomorrow but for now much lovin and encouragement to call your Dad today! He is more than happy to hear from you!

Love,
Mark and Jenn

No comments: