Monday, January 14, 2008

Learning the Steps...

Ok, so I have realized that there are some steps to this dance we will dance in Ukraine that you all may need some clarification on.... and since I can't sleep I am going to put my time to good use!

Step # first...
We get to UA.... ok that is true :) but seriously

Our first Step there is our appointment with the SDA on the 22nd. I do not have the exact time yet but will post it when I know it. BTW Ukraine is CST+8 hours.
So it is 4 am here and Noon time there...

The SDA is the governing body for kind of like our CPS here. They are at the highest level of government in UA dealing with the welfare of children. So this is not a "small potatoes" meeting that we are talking about this is an official deal.
We are not anticipating having a lot of trouble, but we do realize that ours is not exactly an orthodox adoption since we are asking for the privilege to adopt children that are not all related. We would ask that you would pray for us that folks would see that we trust God to blend this family together His way.

As far as life and prayer requests go once we arrive we are asking for prayer to be allowed to go visit orphanage 21 in Kiev.

& to catch up with friends both Ukrainian and American. Paula Underwood is still in UA finishing up their adoption of their new son Chris, and we will be touching base with her we hope before she leaves...

Interjection: Rolly is snoring ... so glad someone can sleep!

On to step number next:

We have to wait and see what they say at the SDA but if they think that we are kosher folks even though they may well question our sanity in adopting five teenagers ( ~ if they only knew about some of you guys in the youth group... ;) )
then we will get our "referrals" not like when you guys get busted for chewing gum or texting in class, no these are the referrals that we want :) we get to "officially" go and visit at 21.

In our brains the plan is to spend some time with the kids at 21 and then explain to them that they have new siblings down south. There is paper work that the facilitators have to gather in Kiev, then they will submit those to the judge.
That by the way was step number 3. Papers gathered and given to judges.
The judges can then pick a date which could be up to 30 days from said turn in, but which we are praying will be much sooner. & yes, we are surely asking for prayers that it will be sooner and that we will be pleasantly surprised to get judges that are truly interested in the welfare of the kids. Those from Bham please do not laugh at my novice Pollyanna heart. A girl can dream.

At some point we will explain to the Kiev crew that we need to boogie on down to Zaph, and start the same party there (see steps one through wishful 3 above) and move forward in the process there too... Now here is where it gets really tricky as if the Fab Five are not a trick in them selves! Presently, as far as we know, our kids in Zaph are in not one, not two but oh yes, THREE different orphanages. Not a pretty site. Which means, depending on the desire of the folks down south we could end up in not one, not two but THREE different courts there, and one in Kiev so yes the math on that is 4 court appearances. I have not been in four court rooms in my life in the states.

Rolly continues to snore peacefully... but not quietly... do breath right strips work on dogs? not sure... anyway....

Then we wait for court dates... My honey who may be with me to start the work in Zaph or who may stay behind and come down just for our Court date(s) will be one way or another in Kiev to bond with our kids there. We will both have catching up to do on that since we are playing divide and conquer but we are going to give it our very best shot. Prayers for understanding from the kids and minimal jealous back lash appreciated here ;)

After court and prayerfully awesome outcomes of the addition of the Fab Five to the Smith family, in both respected regions after each court date, there is a 10 day wait for each court setting (see where less is mo better for us?). So... if we have for example two dates: Say Feb 14 & 16 nice days in my life :) then we have to wait 10 days after each court date before we can press to the next step which is:

MORE paper work! Which has to be picked up for kids in both regions, and new Ukrainian passports must be made to swap for the US ones we are working toward.

Once the ten day wait(s) have past then we can get this group all in one place at one time. Now... LOL... that is going to be Very Interesting! Come on, you know you want to be a fly on the wall for those introductions! We have a few ideas for how to start the party of becoming a family as we are waiting at that point for an embassy appointment to get their papers processed and obtain US passports for each child.

Then the next step is airline tickets OUT of Ukraine for seven people. LOL... Seven people! I LOVE IT! Please pray for this! :) According to Bro Larry we will be needing tickets for 8! I giggle and would be in hog heaven... We want to be Mark and Jenn plus 10 :) Jon and Kate's 8 won't have anything on us! OK OK and then... the step we have all been waiting for:

Touch down USA. Mark and I have return tickets for March 6... it was a nice target number... not necessarily practical nor accurate... but something had to go in the return space... though I note several of you are voting that we will opt to become citizens and adopt the whole country... Thank you for that vote of encouragement. Boogers the lot of you!

Ok... I think that is a clear as mud picture of the steps we are heading toward. So as not to disturb our snoring black lab I will wrap this up for now... Wheels up on Weds. kids... Can you believe this is about to be oh so real? Me either...

Love,
Jenn~ for the Smiths, Here and There...

5 comments:

marla said...

Hey it's me. Mom

Aunt Lisa said...

Guess she figured it out after all. :-)

I can't believe the time is finally here. We love you. Be safe. God bless. Kalyn, Ryan, and Kelsey are looking forward to meeting their cousins.

L

What we are about... said...

Hey sista,
Well, my heart is just jumping for you guys!! I am so happy for you and at the same time I want you to hide me in one of those suitcases and take me with you!!!!!! Tell my kids that I love them - tell them I love them with all my heart, soul and life and I AM COMING!!!!! Praying for you,
Jan

Chris G. said...

Oh my. I'm incredibly excited for you guys as you embark on this adventure. Hoping that you keep good notes cause this has got movie written all over it. Guys this is going to be awesome and I can't wait for the party to get started. Get some rest.

Love you guys.

The Graces

marla said...

OK, I thought I would try once more without any help. I can see that you are sharing all of my KNOWLEDGE with your sister. Bet you had as good of a laugh as you did over the ramp for the old dog!!!! God Bless and keep you safe. I cannot wait for your return with all of my grandchildren. You know, of course, that I am much tooooo young for ten of them! Anyway, this is what I keep telling myself, is it working? I love you all sooooo much, come home to me, you are so blessed and so am I. Please let me know you got this ASAP so I will know that I still have it? Love, Mom