Sunday, January 27, 2008

In the image of the Father


Sunday, January 27, 2008
Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!
I was missing my church family today, and when Frankie would say this to get us to verbally repeat what our hearts are to be doing because of the love that is in us.
I was blessed to go to a Ukrainian church service this morning, and see many old friends from my times ministering with Radooga. In particular, Sergey, one of the humblest men I have ever been privileged to meet and serve with. I would never lightly say that someone reminds me of Jesus himself, because I know we all have a long way to go. None of us are perfect or without sin. If asked, who is the most godly man I have ever met, Sergey would be that man. I have much respect for him because I see so much of Jesus in him. The fruits of the spirit are evident in his demeanor, actions, and words. You cannot meet the guy without being filled with love. And I have seen the man on some early morning camp days and late nights, tired as all get-out, yet he still managed to praise God and encourage others. Sergey greets me the same way if we saw each other 10 minutes ago, or 3 years ago, with excitement and desire to fellowship. I have never known anyone like him. It was so good to see my friend. Sergey has always been someone whom I have seen Jesus in.
The service was nice, lots of good music and preaching. Another Radooga friend, Amberly, translated the sermon for me so I would understand what was going on. The visiting Pastor began in Exodus and shared the passage where Moses asked to see God’s glory, and also where he received the 10 commandments. His premise was we cannot look at God, enter His glory and not look different, not be changed. He then took us to Ephesians, where Paul’s writings echoed this. He also mentioned Christ saying, when you have seen me, you have seen the Father. This verse hit me in a different way than ever before as a new father. I sent a pic of John Benjamin to Jerry the other day, and he commented, “Mark, he looks like he could be yours.” The pastor also shared how many people think he and his wife look alike after 22 years of marriage. When we spend time with those we love, we are not only affected by their love, but begin to embody characteristics of their persona, personality, and mannerisms. This begged me to ask the question, what will I imbue to John Benjamin, to Kevin, to Z, A, and M? What will it look like for me to see those traits in them? Will they be ones I want to see repeated? Or will I be embarrassed of what I see? I hope I look enough like Jesus, that they will see Him in me. Most of all, I am glad I am responsible to point to Him, and not me.
And wow!!! So we are now sitting here in our borrowed bedroom, taking turns on the internet, and Lori checks her phone, which had been on silence, and there were 2 missed calls from John Benjamin. So, we hurriedly call him back, and talk to him for about 5 minutes. How does one convey emotion through words. Sometimes the words just don’t describe what you are feeling. Our boy asked when we are coming to see him. He said, me and my brother (already embracing that I see which is awesome) are waiting to see you and really miss you. Jenn and I are both toast, Lori quickly joining us, but trying to stay calm to translate …lol. What father doesn’t want to hear that from his son? We let him know we love him (which for some reason I forget I know how to say in Russian when I am talking to him) and that if all goes according to plan, we will visit with his director tomorrow. Hopefully, we will get to see them too! So, for the first phone call ever from my son, that one made a pretty lasting memory in my mind. I am totally side tracked from my thoughts … But an encounter with Jesus can sidetrack you, if you allow Him the authority to steer your path. Glimpses of the Father in the Son … when you have seen Jesus, you have seen God. I am sensing a theme. If you never watched Superman Returns, it’s a good jumping off space to relate to what God is saying to me. Today’s sermon compliments it too, and the phone call, well, it is just the cake and icing too!
I hope that when people one day see John Benjamin they will see me in Him. But most of all I hope they see Jesus!
Blessings!
Until He is Known,
Papa Mark

1 comment:

marla said...

I just wanted to say thank you for the email. Read the blog I sent comment under Jenn's note, it is really meant for both of you. It is so good to get pictures of you both. If you can, take lots of pictures of John and Kevin. Love you lots. Mom