Saturday, January 19, 2008

Perspective and Relativity - Jan 18, 2008

Cold … pshhh … What is cold? It’s all relative (one of Lori’s favorite sayings today). When you have the right gear, it’s not really a matter of what the temperature is as long as you are equipped for it. But without the right gear, it can make or break you. Today we ventured out of the apartment, after about a 19 hour slumber (yes we were a little tired, and we probably slept about a good 16 hours of that time). Lori took us into town. For the first time I actually paid attention to the Metro design-- what the stops were, what color the line we were traveling on was, I even tried to decipher the names of the stops, and how to find a place by reading the English/Russian words … Again, the right gear makes all difference when traversing new terrain, even though, I had been on this soil before. Before, I totally relied in my travel guides (and I have had some great travel guides on this terrain before ).
So Lori instructed and let us know what to do, and how we were to do it in the future, being encouraging throughout the process. We made it 9 stops on the green line and got off, switched to the red line for one more stop and there we were …in a familiar place and for the first time I was amazed. Something I dreaded and thought, “I will never get this” … I realized was now in reach. Not too over confident, but willing to step forward, and say, Jesus, let me walk out onto the water and come to You. Peter has always been one of My heroes for his boldness. I want boldness like his, to step out and follow Jesus, wherever He leads me. So we ate our first lunch … ok, it was really brunch, it was before noon (somewhere in the world) at a nice pizza place near T.G.I. Fridays. I mostly listened to Lori and Jenn and their discussions, and then it was time to go and meet S. We walked back up the way we came in by Metro, and towards Independence Plaza, where their giant Christmas tree still was. And soon, we were talking with S and then G, Chris & Paula walk up. Good reunion and meeting of new friends. We then went back to where we ate just previously, and across the street sat in T.G.I Fridays where we chose to eat and fellowship. It was so good to meet Chris finally, after reading about him and his family the past few weeks. He reminded me a lot of M, a gifted one with the camera, that boy is. He was also very helpful to give us some information about some of the kids we are interested in and hope to adopt. Other pieces of “the gear” began to fall into place about my fathering these children God would bring to us. Were they expecting me? Would they choose me Back? Turns out some of them are hoping for me and Jenn to come (not sure they know it’s us, but we will soon find out). I am anticipating trying on this new gear … trying on what it feels to be wanted, longed for as a papa. Everything in me says, “Be cautious, things don’t always go as you may expect them.” I reminded myself that God is aware (of my needs, Jenn’s, the kids His perfect plan …etc), and He is able to do immeasurably more than I can ask or imagine Amazing that He comes to this same meeting with me and Jenn and each one of those children, and has the best for all of us involved! He is the author of the Gear. He created us, and He allows us to experience, and to make choices, all leading to our equipping.

***(Personal disclosure coming next)***
This morning, I made the choice to not wear long underwear. I figured I would be ok, knowing how my body temp reacts to certain temperatures, I took a chance. I have skied before, and though the weather was not quite this cold, I made the choice to follow my instinct, and knowledge of myself. God equipped me with the sense to bring the long underwear, because I might need it, but still leaves the choice up to me. Sometimes, our own understanding is not enough … when left to determine what is right, we often fail miserably. But when we consult God, He promises to never leave us nor forsake us, when we are His. My understanding is full of questions, more than facts or much knowledge at this point in our process. The not wearing long underwear was an ok choice, in case you were wondering. I was warm enough today … but tomorrow is another story, another choice and set of consequences that follow. Will I chose the right gear?
Today, we got a little bit of knowledge. And my choice is to process that knowledge as hope. Ultimately, my hope is in Christ. I have to rest in Him, knowing He has the best planned for me. I have my ideas, and I have tried to ultimately seek His plan. We will see how things unfold. But I am learning to trust in the gear He provides. While seeking Him, put the appropriate gear on each day and use it properly, always letting Jesus be my guide. Remember, It’s all relative …
How’s your perspective today? Are you using the gear He has provided you? I pray you are.
Until He is Known
Papa Mark
P.S. we love and miss you family and friends! We are excited to visit the orphanage tomorrow!!!

3 comments:

marla said...

M & J, I cannot tell you enough how much I enjoyed your detailed story of your trip. You both do such a great job and really make me think I am there. It is WONDERFUL. That cat still looks awfully warm! Take care of him....You know this is like reading a true story and I can't wait for the next chapter. Jenn you always are so good about writing and details, but Mark, you surprised me. Thank you son. I am looking forward to tomorrows chapter of the novel. I love you guys, miss you and I am so happy for you. Mom

Amanda said...

Glad you both are writing. I like the different perspectives!! I am so impressed that you guys are navigating the Metro!! I remember how unnerving it was when I was in Moscow. "English" letters make all the difference!

Enjoy some snow for me. It was 57F here today!! We can switch!!

Love-jo

What we are about... said...

Hey sista,
You look great as a blueberry popsicle!!! Love the pictures! We are reading everyday and are praying even more. Hey if you need any extra warmth, Lova the cat looks like she could be perfect for a warm scarf :) Tell M that the long-john report was priceless, but really hearing about his choice of undies - well gonna get some counseling for that one! Love you guys and soooo glad you are there even if it is ahead of us. Please give me some lessons on the proper way to drink hot tea, I've only had it ice cold with a ton of sugar and lemon! Keep each other warm and give our best to your fantastic hosting family. We will be praying for you all! - Love the Williams