Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Experiment

Ok, so the truth of the matter is this photo was taken at a Birthday Party/ Hayride in Oct... The kids had a pinata and post destruction it became a party hat. Hey my ears were cold! :)
Last night, it was cold here... Ya'll who are in UA now, are free to scoff at what you are about to read, and think out loud even, "ya ain't seen nothin yet." I've been following the weather there... thinking about the impending cold. So, last night when it was dropping into the teens here in the pan handle of sunny Florida (better known as L.A. :) Lower Alabama) I decided to try an experiment. I put on what is close to the outfit that I reckon I will be wearing to court/SDA (No my lovely hat pictured above is not a part of my ensemble, we want to bring the kids home not land me in the loony bin thank you). So I put on my skirt, shirt, and the all important long johns. I did fine while it was still in the 30's. However... the colder it got, the more sure I was that I will officially freeze my hind quarters off in UA.

OK, now that that whine is out of the way, I am really excited. Mark and I are getting things together slowly. We are kind of in a fog of "is this real?" I guess you put so much of your heart and energy into the planning and the papers and the process of it all that then when it comes down to the journey you are like, oh man this is go time. Each day I think to myself we are going to be there and we are going to not only see the kids but they will come home with us. Change our lives be a part of the family. Each day I think more and more about how they are brave and strong and how their hearts will go through so much to let go of their friends there and come and start a new life here. They are amazing people. I know that God does not let anything in our lives go to waste. I think that in some ways, I will be able to draw on my own experiences from 14 and I hope have the right kind of mix of compassion and come on now that I need to be a Mama. We moved when I was 14. It was a much bigger deal than "a move." but that is not the point. The point is God is good. God doesn't let those experiences go to waste. He helps us to reach down deep and draw on the things He has brought us through to use in our lives now, and to help us to help others. At least to listen with some empathy as they work through their own journey.

Tonight we have college students staying with us that just got engaged. They are friends of Mark's from one of his mission trips to UA with Radooga Camps and Student Life. We are so excited for their good news and the life God has planned for them. It will be nice to hear about all that He is doing in their lives. Then Mom and Dad will join us on Friday for the weekend and "last minute" (ha ha... how many days do we have left? 13... there is nothing last minute about that yet now is there?) stuff we think we need. I have a twin bed presently occupied with more junk than you can fit in 3 suit cases that has nothing to do with our clothes... I have loved listening to my Precious Husband's mindset change from when we came home from UA in Oct. 06 to now... He has gone from, "Oh now... we will NEVER take that many suit cases to UA again." (Iron clad resolve I want you to know) to, "one suit case for you and one for me" to, "ok, I can see 3 but no more, I mean it" to "we can't fit all this into four... what are we going to do?!" I have no idea...

On a side note: We did make it out of the closet in the boys room alive which is a huge accomplishment!

Love from the Frozen Tundra of LA :)

The Smiths ~ Here and There... but not for long! :)

5 comments:

Church Family said...

You look absolutely stunning in your lovely hat. You ought to wear it at LaHa...you would fit right in! Love ya, sg

Smith Family ~ "Party of Six" said...

Ms. Jenn you are so silly!
Love
The Youth Group!

Church Family said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Church Family said...

ha ha! Love the hat!

Anonymous said...

Love the hat it is sooo you..
HRobbins