Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Change of plans...

"God is good all the time... all the time, God is good." (Andrea I am picking up your montra)

So today we got up and started to get ready for the day, Olya was up and offered to make us eggs and sausage (Kobasa) we had tea and shared some small talk about the cat and Lori and Denis, it was small talk because it was us with out a translator with Olya but it was awesome none the less. She is precious. Somehow in the conversation however it seemed as I admired her fingernails that she thought I should have mine done too. Now to be honest in my mind I was thinking pack for Zap, get to a meeting at 2 and try to see the boys before we catch a train. Finger nails were not on my list of things to do. But people being more important than my productivity I made myself check out of my American mind, and just receive this time with Olya and the gift that it was from her to me.

I have done nails for girls for Prom, nails for people who could not do them for themselves, and I like to serve others that way. I have not had someone else do my nails unless I have paid for it or unless I let a little kid do it for their own fun. As I sat in the tiny kitchen this morning and Olya went to work on my hands which I confess I thought looked awful with travel, and busted fingernails, (I know you guys are like whatever! but a chick is a chick and my thing is my nails)when she started filing and my hands were soaking in soapy water... I started slowing down. Slowing down for me is not always a good thing. Some of what happened yesterday started soaking in too and I was over come with the kindness Olya was showing to me, and the loss of Z. and the pressure of what the process still is yet to come. I started to cry. When Olya saw it she was like what is going on? (my translation) I only know the word for tomorrow in Russian so I started by explaining Tomorrow, Now, Yesterday, she got me. Then I explained Inspector in Zap, Dah, A&M, Neyt, Z. & she was clear on what had happened and looked as stricken as we feel. The Ukrainian answer to just about everything is tea and food. Since we had had breakfast she put on tea and wanted me to eat cookies. I declined the cookies but indulged in the second cup of tea while my nails dried and so did my eyes. Olya looked at me very strictly pointing her finger like Granny used to, and said, "Nieploch" (Jenn phonetic for) "Don't cry" Then she said, "I no,ummm" and made a motion indicating her heart breaks. I heard her to say, she can't see me cry because it breaks her heart. So, no more cry baby Jenn... at least not for now. Olya explained her Papa bought her her "tools" to do nails. They are really nice. I couldn't help but think how, God knew that the tools he gave Olya through her Dad would be so important as she connects with her niece Oksana weekly (I have seen this) and would be such a ministry to my broken spirit this morning. Dad's gifts are always for a reason aye? Some we don't think are a big deal until He uses us to bless someone else. The person we bless offers gratitude not only to us, but it is a glory to God too. I am so thankful for the way that God used Olya's act of kindness this morning to bless me and I praise Him for this which in turn blesses Him.

G. called and said, "a very funny thing has happened.it seems M's papers have been transferred to Novahnickoliveka (my spelling) but the local administration has not yet gotten any papers that say he has been received there yet. So, we will not be going to Zap today, and no meeting with Sveta, but we can go see the boys." So, Mark and I finished reorganizing our suitcases since they were out and pre fingernails we had started that party, and then Lori and he and I went downtown to change money and catch lunch before meeting G. to go out to Nievki to see the boys.

We got to the orphanage and David West's post about what it feels like to be in the darkness of the place came back to me. It was dark. The Soviet mentality of just a little light was pervasive today. We sat in the hallway as G. chatted with one of the guards. The boys it turns out were in gym class and not able to come visit. Then after we sit for an hour, G. finally catches the Director which we were under the impression had already been done, and she gives permission to allow us to go and watch them play. So we go to the fifth floor gym and watch Kevin play basketball, John sat out today. The gym is really small. the ceiling is low and they play ball off the walls to keep it in play as long as they can. When they were done we went back down stairs for our visit. They disappeared a while to change clothes. Kevin came back with his jacket on. Mark was proud :) Then we got to hang out a while. about an hour. We asked questions which Lori helped us with and the answers we got were telling of personalities. John when asked, what is your favorite color says, "I don't know, I like them all. What is your favorite color?" I tell him blue. What do you like to eat, "what ever you fix." What do you think you want to do? He shrugs, Lori, Mark and I were talking on the way home... He has no idea, because until this week, his options were technical school (if he could be placed and since his "neurological report" was not "super" they may not have placed him) or the street. Kevin on the other hand was quick to answer. He knew what color he liked, he likes black. He knows he likes candy. When John heard us ask him what his favorite color was, he told him, "tell her blue" he was eager to see me happy, but Kevin was like, no, I do like black. Kevin is more sure of himself in some ways for a younger kid. John is going to wrestle with learning it is ok to like what he likes and not have to be a people pleaser. We adore them both. They make everything better and we are so excited to be with them. We asked them what they think it will be like to be in a family. They were like, nice. What do you think a Papa's job is? Kevin says, "to do good work" John says, "I'll help Papa with his work" they wanted to know about school and about how many lessons a day they would have to have. Kevin was thrilled to hear they would get two weeks off when they got home before we start school officially. John was relieved to hear that school will start with English lessons at home first. "Good." he said. They wanted to know what jobs they would have at home, and what Job's M&A would have too. We have explained that Z is not going to come home now and that has brought about a mixed reaction. They look sad, and they also are a little anxious I think to see their situation resolved so that they feel sure this won't happen to them. We tried to tell them it is all good, but I think only time will calm those nerves down.

They had to go do a lesson, and said to wait for them. We did, and the Director came down and politely told us that it was best for us to just go on home. We smiled, received her word to us, and asked to tell the boys we were going. She smiled, told us she would have a teacher do that for us, and we were effectively dismissed. We left and road the bus and Mootro home. Poor Lori had her nose in this dude's armpit half the way and later she confirmed he smelled like a bottle of Vodka to boot. You will be thrilled to hear that tonight I did not even graze one person in the game of Bowling for Ukrainians on the Metro. I am rather proud of this. Celebrate with me please :)

Please pray with us that we will get to have the boys for an outing this weekend. We do not seem to curry the same favor as some of the families that have preceded us so we are not sure she will let us go out with them. But we really want to, and hope to. Especially since now we will travel to Zap on Sunday night for meetings on Monday/Tues. with inspectors and the Orphanage director at Novahnickoliveka. We are excited they are in one place, and thrilled to here the "local administration" is "friendly." We shall see! :) Also, cool news and answer to prayer, since they are in one place, only two court hearings. This is good. Also, another answer to prayer, it seems that for my stay in Zap I will be at the orphanage with the children. YOU KNOW I AM IN HEAVEN over this news no matter what happens once there, the conditions, none of it... I am so stoked to be able to experience life there with them. I am so thankful that God will allow me to be there and praying for the chance to love on some kids! I am going to ask for permission to make the big stink for Valentines Day, ya'll please pray for wisdom on how to do this, what to do, and a chance to say Jesus loves them in what ever way I can daily but especially on that day. It is a huge holiday for "young people" according to Denis. I would like to see the Father show His love for the kids through anything we can muster up to do special. Novahnickoliveka is a "special" orphanage for children with speech problems, and I saw pics once that indicated other special needs are there as well. I do not think I will have internet, in fact I doubt this seriously, so once Mark and I part company for a time and he comes home to Kiev to be with the boys, I will be off line save through him. I will however have my lap top so be on the look out for a novel when I get to post. :)

I am hopeful Lori will share her perspective of what she sees happening in a post in the future too. She is so awesome and has been such a wonderful blessing of an extra set of eyes and ears, not to mention hugs and kisses for the boys. They love her! Who doesn't?

Ok so recap for those who fell asleep, we are here till Sun. night and then down to Zap. Jan, I am still going to do all I can to get some time with the kids. Hang in there with me sister. We will pray and leave the results up to Him! DO NOT WORRY! Ya'll prayin folk ask the Lord to let me get to see the kids at Matv. too please!!Suzette, got V. a phone card today and was able to pass it to him quietly. I think it will last him a while we got him one for 50 grn. If he needs anything when we get back Mark can help him. :)

Thank you much for all your prayers and comments. Thank you to those who have gone to see our sweet boys at the Red Woof Inn. We are missing them and can't wait for the kids to get to meet them. Funny enough Kevin who is scared of dogs, thinks Pohlee should be his dog... we were thinking Rolly would be a much better choice, but it was really funny to hear him assign Pohlee to himself and Rolly to John. Betcha that changes fast!

Praying we get to visit again tomorrow. Will let you know when we do!
Peace out,
Jenn for the Smiths.

1 comment:

Hall family said...

WE LOVE YOU GUYS AND CAN'T WAIT TO CONTINUE TO HEAR MORE...PRAYING ALOT FOR YOU AND FOR SOFTENING OF HEARTS...THANK YOU FOR KEEPING US ALL UPDATED...WE ARE SO THANKFUL FOR YOU ALL....LOVE, RANDY, VAL AND THE HALL FAMILY