Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Finding Normal

Finding Normal…

 

I have said before I have a secret obsession with the show "Roswell."  In the first season there is an episode called, "Finding Normal" in which one of the lead characters Max (pure coincidence I promise) asks, "What's so great about normal?" On the one side of the coin I want to tell you that part of me longs for "normal" in the sense that I am pretty ready to get home to my honey, my life, and my new life… I am surely past ready to drive my car with the windows down and the sun on my face for more than a fleeting 3 minutes on the metro where I feel speed and wind at the same time… On the other hand, as this process is winding down, where some find it to be more stressful I am finding it to be less so in some ways. I think because we went through it in Zaph, it is not so bad here, I know the game, by now it is all to familiar J and the kids are starting to relax some so that has helped me for sure.

 

To catch you up on life here since last weekend, we went to visit the Magdych family on Sat. it was great to be with them. They are some of the most precious people you can call friends. They sent us home with 3 bags of groceries, bread and jams, and cookies and juice. I wanted to cry. If you know the poem "Ants in the Sugar Bowl" you understand. If not you just have to find it some how and read it… I am living it. You should too, every one should too.

 

I turned 35 on Sunday. If you asked me about the morning I would not tell you a happy tale, so since you are not asking I ain't telling… Lori came by with flowers and cake and straws (thank you side not to Sean Harris who taught me how to "play the straw" under my armpit, Sean taught me, "We wish you a Merry Christmas" on the way home from Student Life one year and I have expanded my musical repertoire in the last couple of years to include Happy Birthday and the Star Spangled Banner. I'm really quite good if I can make it through the songs with out passing out or laughing… Knew Mark would want me to pass my talents on to our kids!) and we had such a wonderful party. Before the party Mom, Mark, Amanda and later my 90 year old Nana whom I adore the lot, all called to say, happy birthday. Lori and I took the kids to walk in the big park where the Ferris Wheel is up the road. The kids rode some rides, I considered Mc. D's but they were acting out by the end of the time so we headed home. Kevin right up in the open thought he would ask for some things he knew he shouldn't have from some of the kids at 12. This was not a good move. I busted him out right. He was livid. In the long run, the cool thing is, because of this which Satan intended for evil, God used it for good. We had a terrific talk through Lori with he and John and I about some of the issues they are facing. In the long run, they came to know that I have lived a life too, and finally John said, "Mama understands this…" to Kevin. Addictions are addictions no matter to what you are addicted to. We turned a corner. A huge one… Now instead of lying to me, they are trusting me to help them slow things down to an eventual stop. We got a long way to go, but we are moving forward… and our boys are learning that trusting me to help them is better than the alternatives, namely time in their room with out the rest of the family. These kids are super social so solo time is not fun time. Bogdon joined us for a few minutes and some cake, and he offered to watch the kids on Monday so I could go and do docs at the Ministry of Justice for the "wet seals" on the birth certificates and court decree.

 

For those behind me, YOU NEED THIS… Some will say no, YOU NEED THIS… there was a story of a family on the plane with out having shown this documentation to the boarder crossing folk and they were taken OFF THE PLANE since they did not produce this paper with the wet seal. Not my idea of fun. Hence Mark had a turn he got Anna's and Max's stuff done. Which was no fun for him, and he told me about how the hall ways are so closed off and the people are not thrilled to be there any way.  I decided that it was not a good place for my four kids… good choice. I would not have wanted one of them with me for that…

 

Lori took the day off of school and we had a whole day to talk and hang out and ya'll I felt human again. Confession… We pretended to be American's… we went to TGI Fridays for lunch… I know… I know… the audacity… but it was needed after the morning of lines and pushy folk, not to mention our epic adventure to find and purchase airline tickets home. Um, yes, that is correct… FIND AND PURCHASE our tickets HOME… So, the 19th is the magic date at the moment. All of the kids tickets are accounted for at this time. Thank you church family for your efforts to make sure they would be paid for, God did so good through ya'll. Mine too, special thanks to you Precious Friends…  Christy Nockle's is singing Praise Ye the Lord… and I pause for some lovin… & Now we are learning "Lord of the Dance" by Stephen Curtis Chapman,  John is finding some of the "enlish musis" to be "ok" I am so thankful, can't wait till he not only likes the sound but learns to love the One who Inspires it. My Daughter is feeding the dog, I got a small bag of dog food for the dog and the kids love to go and feed her. Want you to feel like you are here… anywhooo…

 

Got back to the Ministry of Justice at 4:15, and waited to get our docs picked up. In the process of waiting Lori started to ask this guy what the deal was on how to get them, and when the guy missed her asking him to stop this lovely young woman who is Ukrainian but living in the Netherlands walked over and asked, do you speak Dutch? We said no English, she smiled, "Oh even better!" That was some music to my ears and not a normal statement for us to hear for sure! She explained what we needed to do to get my docs and  I went to go into the office to pick up the birth certificates. On my way in the door George got there and we finished our business for the day and then set a time to get started in the morning. Lena stayed with us and walked with Lori and I on the way to the Metro telling us about her self and her family and just being generally a dear. In the end I was able to ask her about her life and if she attended church anywhere. She told me no, but she was not anti religion. She said she goes for the holidays and special things. Her grandmother took her. I told her how special she is, that I do not believe in chance and that I know that God brought us together to meet. She was totally open to my opinion. She was taken with the fact that Mark and I felt God lead us here to adopt, and to adopt teenagers and not one but five who have become only four for now. I asked her if I could suggest something to her and she agreed I could, I suggested that she get a bible and read the book of John and see for herself what God might say to her. I do not know that she will, but her eyes looked curious. I got her email….She told me she has friends all over the world. One in China, Beijing to be exact, that she wants to go visit some day.  Maybe as time goes by she will meet the One I Love and fall in love with Him too, maybe in this process she will share Him with her friends and they with theirs… it is such a wonderful thought for me… someday I plan to share more with her, maybe you will pray for her, I got on the escalator to get back on the metro with Lori feeling like God had been very gracious with me and that my day was really a great one for His glory. I super needed that…

 

I picked up Mc. D's on the way home from the day, in hopeful anticipation that it was a good one for the kids too. It was. Everyone had a cheeseburger and fries. The boys watched X-Men in honor of Pop… Anna worked on her English and the day ended well.

 

Today John, Kevin and I went to get their pics taken for their passports. We are hopeful to have them by Thurs. for a Dr.'s appointment on Friday. IF… which is a fat if, all were to go swimmingly (and be advised I do remember where I am), there is a minor chance that we could get out of here earlier than the 19th. This would require another ticket change for me, and a change for the kids too… and part of me thinks that if we are done earlier than I had been advised we might be, then being here with no stress of doing docs or having to do anything else might make for a good bonding time with the kids and a time to talk a little about what their entry into the states will be like. As for me, reentry will prove to be interesting to say the least.  These guys are full time. No doubt. They are what we prayed for for so long… they deserve, need, and will get our full attention.

 

Sarah Groves and I have "just showed up" again, and my kids are listening to Sergey's CD's on the DVD player. The day is beautiful outside, Max & Kevin are riding bikes and terrorizing the other kids from 12. spitting sunflower seeds all over creation, and the dog we have adopted is now full and napping in the park and it is all good. It is all God… it is my "present normal." Thanks for prayin… we are closer than ever…

 

Pork Chops and Soup for dinner with Lori tonight and I think Disney's Tarzan or Pacifier in Russian which I picked up today at the Market. Score for Mom.

 

Lovin from the Smiths in UA…

 

J.

OH… and PS… for those who are "economically inclined" & believers too… check this out… Lori and I saw a sign yesterday on the street where the vendor was changing money, 4.99 – 5.00 UAH to USD… yeah people… a penny on the dollar here at that shop… the best rate I saw today was 9 cents. Keep your eye on the ball kids… time is getting shorter…

1 comment:

Smith Family ~ "Party of Six" said...

Wow! That was a great day. I am so glad you have the good to balance out the bad. Soon, things will be more good than difficult (I hope and pray).
Hang in there, you are at a week and a half to go!